Monday 4 November 2013

October-ish thoughts


I've just spent a day traipsing around Oxford, so I'm pretty exhausted, but I thought it might soon be too late for a post about October, so here we are. These are just some thoughts I had last month, as well as some photos I took or liked, some of my art, some inspiration, etc. Fair warning: this will be long and photo-heavy, so you might want to grab some tea and snuggle down...

 
I tried taking one of those lovely pics of nice things arranged in cool patterns that pop up so often on tumblr, but I have neither a flat surface or impeccable folding skills, so this is what I ended up with. Top left are my new Topshop leather dungarees - these are so comfy and look cool with every top you could possibly imagine. Also, they're snuggly. The orange shirt next to them has actually been in my wardrobe for years (ever since I stole it off my brother) but I only just got around to adjusting it and wearing it. Bottom left are my ballet shoes. I really want some black, canvas split-soles as well as these, but I need an excuse to go to my dance shop. Then there's my signed, first edition copy of More Than This by Patrick Ness (which I have now finished), some make up, and this wonderful gosling green fluffy jumper, also from Topshop.


from here

From this wonderful post by Ellie Connor-Phillips
Found here

Found here






















 
I've been loving all kind of misty, mysterious photos of plants and trees. This makes me sad that I live in a place with very few misty mysterious foresty places, being in a large city and all. Also, wolves! Ideally, I'd like a dire-wolf (as in Game of Thrones) but I might have to settle for getting me a husky as soon as humanly possible.





 
I've been on the hunt for the ever-elusive perfect jeans. For a couple of weeks, I wore my destroyed, 5 year old pair of Moto Leigh's non-stop, because they're sooo distressed and comfy. Unfortunately, my mum isn't too happy with the multiple rips, grass and mud stains and paint splatters. Sadly, all the new pairs I looked at were super tight and thin, or just badly fitting, so I'm sticking to dungarees for the moment.
And, on the subject of blue jeans, 'Requiem For Blue Jeans' has been on loop in my room throughout October. I adore Lana Del Rey and her original 'Blue Jeans', but I have to say this remix/mashup/cover by Bastille is even better.
 
 
And here's some other music I've listened to a lot. Just a couple notes - 'Satukit' is Sinead Satu of Peppermint Whiskers, and she is amazing. Not only can she put together dreamy pastel princess outfits and be a total artistic badass, but she creates wonderful music. Check her out immediately if you haven't already! Also, 'Dawn of Eden' by Underworld was created for Frankenstein, directed by Danny Boyle at The National. I saw a screening of this on Halloween, and it was one of the best pieces of theatre I have ever seen. The acting, staging, music, everything was overwhelmingly beautiful and awe-inspiring. I only wish I could have seen it live.
 




 
Rookie meet up! This wasn't actually organised by Rookie, but by a group of lovely girls on Facebook who read the mag and wanted to get together. We met at the Southbank centre to do crafty-collagey things, and we chatted about school and blogs and life and whatnot. There may be another meetup soon, so if you'd like to come, check out this facebook group.
 
The babe in the last picture is Sophie of Pretty Passions, Fine Fashions, who has awesome style and makes cool zines, and is a total sweetie to top it all off.

 
This is the collage I made at the meet up. I will probably add more to it, maybe some text.
 
 
 And this is my baby! He took about a million hours to finish, and you can see some progress shots on my tumblr. If I hadn't drawn him for schoolwork I would add something to make him a bit more interesting, but I don't think my art teacher would be too pleased with flowers and poetry on my observational drawing practice.

 
Finally, some news for the future: I'm planning on doing a series of little art/poetry pieces, based on things that could be said/thought about loves and crushes and so on. If I have time, I might even turn them into a zine-type-thing. They will be posted on my tumblr, and probably here as well at some point. If anybody would like to contribute short lines or poems about the people they have loved/crushed on, that would be very welcome!
 
Stay cool,
xx

13 comments:

  1. i really like your collage and woah, your bear is so realistic. you're so talented.
    i'd like to go to a rookie meetup one day, everyone looks so cool. :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You should definitely come to a meetup, this was my first one and everybody was so nice and welcoming - if you can't join the fb group, I could always send you the info another way? Also, I checked out your blog and it's awesome. You have real commitment!
      xx

      Delete
  2. i went to a rookie meetup in london during the summer which was really fun, so i was kinda bummed that i couldn't go this time :( anyway, i really love your blog! xx

    www.ellestolemyname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Your blog is great too - you have amazing taste in music. And maybe I'll see you at a future meet up? From what I've heard about the summer meet up, it must have been so much fun!
      Xx

      Delete
  3. your blog is amazing, i love the photos, and your music taste is fab xxx

    www.berry-crumble-xxx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much! I have some more playlists lined up already to look forward to :) And your blog is really cute.
      Xx

      Delete
  4. Thanks! Your blog is awesome - such lovely style and such a beautiful face.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such a lovely blog!
    very cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Your blog is cute as cute too! xxx

      Delete
  6. oh honey honey honeyyyy u so sweet and and I LUV ur art u r amazing lots of loooooveeee <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so so much, you are such a babe! Millions of hugs!!
      Xxxxxx

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, I can't believe I've only just seen this?! I've just been scrolling through your blog and then I was like 'It's me!!' Aww, thank you for the lovely, lovely things that you've written <3 <3 the meet-up was so much fun :)

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, sweet! It really really was, hoping there'll be another soon... Xxx

      Delete